Soccer Club of New Milford
Purpose: The Purpose of this document is to provide clear and consistent guidance for use
by the SCNM for the purpose of evaluating players for Travel Soccer team placement. This
document supports the Mission of SCNM.
This document is applicable to all Travel teams for Boys and Girls soccer. It does not cover In
House or Premier Soccer evaluations.
All children must try out for age appropriate teams first, no exceptions.
Evaluations will be done by Independent evaluators, no parents or coaches allowed to
do their own children or teams
Any Player wishing to tryout for higher level or older teams (aka “Playing up”) must
seek permission from the Boys or Girls Travel Coordinators at tryout registration.
1. Evaluations will be done by independent individuals agreed to by the SCNM
Board. Coaches will not be allowed to evaluate their own teams. Parents may not
evaluate their own children. The Director of Coaching will have final say on
grading/ratings from the evaluations.
2. Placement decisions will be made with; Director of Coaching, Evaluators, Travel
Coordinators and Coaches (specific to the age bracket, but inclusive of A/B/C level) to
determine final team rosters. Final decisions will be made by the Director of Coaching.
3. Players MUST try-out for Age appropriate teams initially, no exceptions.
4. In the event that a player wishes to be considered for a tryout with second team (e.g.:
next age level up appropriate), they must notify SCNM of their intention at the time of
tryout registration. Upon completion of the initial age appropriate tryout, a decision
will be made by Director of Coaching (via the Travel Coordinators) as to whether the
player is eligible for the next age level up appropriate team tryout. Permission to try
out only if the player has placed within the top 1/3 of the initial age group level (aka:
“A”) team. In order to successfully be placed on the NEXT AGE LEVEL UP team, the
player MUST qualify to start on the next age level appropriate team (aka: “A”) team.
5. Players not selected for the next age level team will remain with their age appropriate
team(s) (unless the Club deems necessary for team formation purposes or other
6. Evaluation criteria is mainly focused around the placement of players on the most
competitive team in the bracket/division teams. The Club does require more flexibility
in order to properly form competitive B teams, so situation specific options may need to
Page 2 of 2
7. SCNM will decide on best appropriate course of action to field competitive teams in
line with the Club mission to provide each player with adequate challenge.
8. Club may have to make decisions based on circumstances arising from specific
situations due to Premier teams or at prep for entry to High School level teams.